Friday, October 23, 2009

"No Faster Than He Gets Knowledge"

Ryan Reeder

Rel 393R-Scriptural Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith

Prof. Richard Galbraith

December 15, 2000



"No Faster Than He Gets Knowledge"

Since this is a personal paper, I would like to speak personally. The topic asks me to outline the scriptural setting for my chosen profession. What scriptures and basic gospel principles, then, seem to me to apply particularly to me as I prepare to accomplish my life's work? I think one of the basic principles I see in my life is related to the title of this paper, when Joseph Smith said on April 10, 1842 "A man is saved no faster than he gets knowledge" (246) (1). He also taught the converse of this doctrine, "It is impossible for a man to be saved in ignorance" (Doctrine and Covenants 131:6). At one point he expounded:

Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come (Doctrine and Covenants 130:18-19).

I find that the acquisition of knowledge in my life is very important and forms a theoretical basis for my life's work. Knowledge is related to such gospel principles as truth, light, wisdom, and intelligence (Doctrine & Covenants 50:24, 84:45, 88:40, 93:23-40, 130:19). In these scriptures we learn that "truth is knowledge," "whatsoever is truth is light," and that intelligence is "light and truth" or "the light of truth" (D&C 93:24; 84:45; 93:36,29). We know of light that "That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (D&C 50:24). Thus, through acquisition of knowledge and truth and light we put ourselves in a position to receive more of the same (D&C 88:40). The more we receive, the more we are capable of receiving.

But what should we gain knowledge about? Doctrine and Covenants 93:24 teaches that "truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come," and on the next page "it is my will that you should . . . obtain a knowledge of history, and of countries, and of kingdoms, of laws of God and man, and all this for the salvation of Zion" (D&C 93:53). Things past, present and future, history and the affairs of mankind, then, are the main topics we should learn about. Doctrine and Covenants 88:77-80 especially elucidates the topic:

And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom. Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms--That ye may be prepared in all things when I shall send you again to magnify the calling whereunto I have called you, and the mission with which I have commissioned you.



These scriptures particularize various topics "that are expedient for you to understand," accompanied by the admonition to "teach one another" these things, "that ye may be prepared" (D&C 88:78,77,80). Later on in this chapter the Lord instructs us how we are to gain this knowledge "Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith" (D&C 88:118). We can conclude from this that knowledge is obtained from personal effort and faith from "one another" and from "the best books" (D&C 88:118).

So far we have determined why we are to gain knowledge, what we are to gain knowledge about, and how we are to gain that knowledge. I have chosen to study history in large part because it incorporates all of these principles. I am especially interested in the history of the Church. I have studied "things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms" (D&C 88:79). I feel, then, that there is a strong scriptural setting for my chosen profession as I see it thus far.

1. Page numbers in parentheses refer to Scriptural Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, selected by Joseph Fielding Smith, annotated by Richard C. Galbraith, published by Deseret Book Company, 1993.

1

No comments: